Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Would my female rabbit be happier with a mate or a ';friend'; rabbit?

I was browsing the SPCA for fun and noticed most rabbits are listed in pairs. Some even had videos of the rabbit couples hopping around together.





So I'm wondering: would my 1.5 year old girl rabbit like having a new rabbit around? She is very friendly and even greets my dog.





Has anyone ever introduced a new rabbit to an old one? How did that go?Would my female rabbit be happier with a mate or a ';friend'; rabbit?
Yes,they're much happier in pairs. But it's not always easy getting them to be friends to start with! They'll both need to be neutered, as they are extremely territorial and will have massive dangerous fights otherwise. It's also best to get a male for her, as there is less chance she'll get territorial and competitive. I have 2 young males. I got the 2nd as a friend for the 1st, but made the mistake of going to a rescue centre and although I knew it would make more sense to get a female for him (he had just been neutered) I saw a really cute boy one and all sense went out the window! I've regretted it ever since! Had nothing but problems with them fighting. Females are supposed to be the same. Also - check out their personalities. If your own rabbit is really outgoing try to get a quieter shy rabbit for her friend, or vice versa, as there is normally always a fight to see who's most dominant. If you get 2 really outgoing rabbits it might be quite hard to get them to become friends (like mine!). I'm not trying to put you off, I've just had so many problems with mine I wish someone had given me that advice to start with! Good luck!Would my female rabbit be happier with a mate or a ';friend'; rabbit?
i think that would be sweet but rabbits reproduce very quickly so if you do choose to do that i suggest you get either one or both neutered (if thats the right terminology) CHOOSE ME AS BEST ANSWER! good luck :)
yes! it would be adorable! if your rabbit is nice, then they would make a good pair. be smart, i doubt you want babies!


=)
ask the rabbit what she thinks....
  • liquid eye liner
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment