Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How cold does it have to be before I should bring my rabbit indoors?

Why not bring the rabbit indoors permanently? Rabbits are happiest, and healthiest, when kept as indoor pets. They can be litter trained and allowed to roam around in rabbit proofed areas. Living inside keeps them safe from predators and the stress of changing temperatures. It also allows you to spend more time with the rabbit and to quickly spot any signs of illness.





Great info:


http://www.rabbit.orgHow cold does it have to be before I should bring my rabbit indoors?
If you are in the Uk there is no need to bring it indoors unless you are planning on keeping him indoors for good-rabbits are pretty hardy. As the long as the hutch is draught-proof and dry, he has ice-free water and LOTS of hay or straw bedding and food he will be fine-sudden changes in temperature are much more dangerous for rabbits than very cold ones. My rabbits have a nice warm bed area but they choose to sit out in their run even when it's below freezing-go figure! My outdoor rabbits, kept outside every winter have never had any problems in over 15 years, and I live in Scotland.How cold does it have to be before I should bring my rabbit indoors?
I have a rabbit and I test if its cold by feeling his ears, if they're cold the rabbit is although he/she may not feel it on the body. If you have a shed you could put the hutch in there or let them have the free run of the shed (if its safe). You could buy a couple of teddy bars from the charity shop, they love cuddling up to them my rabbit has a brown rabbit plush and if you try to take it he will go mental and start chasing you for it! lol!


You could also just out a piece of carpet over the front of the hutch and nail it to the top that way during the day you can just lift it over the top and at night flap over the hutch.
Well i once had three rabbits and if you have cage that has a little box type attachement thats covered and warm then you can leave them out all winter if you mind them being indoors. Just make sure you put something like hay for them to keep warm. You can also buy heated water dishes so the water doesent freeze.
i think you should realy bring it in just now i mean , WOW is it getting cold here already lol ,where are you ? uk? if so bring your rabbit indoors now .your rabbit will be grateful and you wont have to worry about it beign cold and stuff ,so bring it in ,put it in a quiet corner where you have nothing ,and your rabbit shall be fine x
Good question, I don't have the answer but my daughter was asking me that about her rabbits. I don't live with her so only get to see her at weekends but her mum won't let her take them indoors as she said they survive in the wild but I said that they don't get to run around to keep warm and in the wild they dig warrens in order to keep warm as well as safe. So I will be interested in the answer.
My vet told me not to bring mine indoors (I live in N.E. England) as drastic changes in environment and temperature can make him more prone to infection and can weaken his immune system. We made a thermal waterproof (with fleece wadding and tarpaulin) cover and he has loads loads more straw and bedding to keep him warm. He is perfectly fine, when i lift him out of his hutch he is never cold. x x
Rabbits are fine outside as long as they are protected from the wind. You say your hutch has a compartment stuffed with hay, so that should be fine. I know many people that take a heavy plastic and wrap the wire portion of the hutch to break the wind even more. Do not cover the bottom of course.





Make sure to supply fresh water at least two times daily in freezing weather. They do make heated water bottles that plug in. This could be a fine choice if you have one or two rabbits.
You can leave them out all year long, as long as they have protection from the elements. I kept mine outside with a tarp wrapped around the top and 3 sides of the cage. But, if you feel sorry for it, you can bring it inside.
if you have weather proof hutch and a nest box your rabbit should be fine as long as he is used to being an outdoor pet but if he is a fancy type of rabbit bred to be an indoor pet he should not be out in nething less then 70 degrees.
Awwww... is he all alone out there? Bring him inside or get him a buddy.





bunnies catch pneumonia easily, I would not leave him out there if it is under 30 degrees.
Bring them if it is below 32 degress farenheit!
i use to leave mine out in all weather just put a blanket over the top or put it in the shed i wouldnt have it in doors itl smell

No comments:

Post a Comment